By tradition, the third anniversary is marked with leather. The modern list calls for crystal. Since the change from September to October marks the third anniversary of this blog, I think the occasion calls for me to treat myself. So which way do I go?
Maybe it will help – or not – to reflect on the process and what I have gained from three years of blogging. I list a few in no particular order except as they come to mind:
• Responses – sometimes with rebuttals – from friends, sisters, children, and especially grandchildren
• New friendships as followers now include a friend of a sister and friends of friends
• Renewed contact and conversations with former students
• Getting to tell old stories with no eye-rolling that I can actually see
• Sharing books I have read and loved
• Unexpected conversational exchanges with references to the blog from people I did not know were reading it – especially like the one who told me she had forwarded one of them to her daughter
So how do I choose? The list has not helped my dilemma. I’ll just go with my obsessions. I have more crystal than I like to wash from purchases when we lived in or traveled to Europe and gifts of various kinds. You can see it in the picture. I will forego a picture of my shoe closet since you might question the rest of my reasoning. One can never have too many shoes. I’ve decided this anniversary calls for a trip to the shoe store!
I begin my fourth year with gratitude for the opportunity to say what I’m thinking. You may read or not; roll your eyes or not; share it or not. I take pleasure all the same of thinking of you as I write and hope my words trigger your mind to some thoughts of your own.